AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

M is for Magic Moment + Magic Memory


Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ Old man walking Dromana beach, Mornington Peninsula.
He created a magic moment.
~
ABC Wednesday Round 3 prompt ~
M is for Magic Moment + Magic Memory

~
On the weekend
I saw a slightly stooped
Old man
Walking the coastal pathway of
Dromana beach
~
I noticed he carefully held
Close to him
Something
(Perhaps precious)
Under his right arm
~
As he drew closer
I saw what looked like
A picture frame
And caught the briefest glimpse of
A black and white image
Within the frame
~
I felt
Deliberately
The image was turned
Outwards
~
He smiled a good morning
And continued on down to the beach
~
As he walked away
I turned to photograph him
~
For some reason
I stopped just to look out across the water
~
It seemed I was there longer than I thought
~
Suddenly
The old man walked up the steps
From the beach
Right before me
~
I mumbled something about a lovely Spring day ~
He smiled
And said
"I always bring her with me"
~
It was then
He showed me
Her photograph
His wife
Beautifully dressed
For dancing
And glowing with a radiant smile
~
They had been married 50 years
Danced
Played tennis
Walked the beach
Always
Together
~
When she left this world
He found peace in her photograph
~
She always walked with him
And he turned her image
So she could see
What he could see
~
His magic became
My magic moment
My magic memory

~

Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ Magic Memory
~

22 comments:

Geraldine said...

What a touching story,thanks for sharing. They were lucky indeed to have had 50 special years together, weren't they?

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

A Wild Thing said...

What a beautiful encounter, you probably lit up his small world with your kind words. Bittersweet, this lonelyness he must feel, that he carries her image by his side, sharing the view of their memories.

So sweet, so sad...

sharon

Anonymous said...

Very touching, Gemma. I thought for a moment he was scattering ashes.
Have you noticed all those blues.

Reader Wil said...

Gemma this is a wonderful story! Thanks! Enjoy your spring and your beach!

Louis la Vache said...

Very fine M post, Gemma!

Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely! When we are open and aware, these magic moments are all around us. The Universe wanting us to connect, share and learn. Thank you for posting this.

AphotoAday said...

Ah, very nice...

Maria's Space said...

What a lovely story. I love the photos. Great feel.

paisley said...

oh gemma,, that was a beautiful portrait of love... thank you for sharing it with us...

Anonymous said...

Such a touching story. Truly a magic moment. The photos are wonderful. Thank you, Gemma.

antigoni said...

What a wonderful post!!!!!

Bear Naked said...

What a beautiful moving post.
That is certainly a Magic Moment that you have shared with us.
Thank you!

Bear((( )))

Jane Hards Photography said...

It is a beauiful moving post. Magic moments need to be treausred.

Leslie: said...

A sweet and touching post!

earthlingorgeous said...

Oh my what a touching post the old man so sweet! That encounter is so magical and this is such a touching photo too. Wow! You made my heart melt.

Powell River Books said...

What a magic moment and wonderful peak into someones life. It was beautiful and sad at the same time. It seems a lot less moving, but I invite you to come see my "better" mouse trap. -- Margy

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

a marvellous moment.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

OH! That is amazingly beautiful.

Unknown said...

Magic Memory! SO beautful! I love it. Very pretty music!

DeeJay said...

A lovely tale
Sorry I am late visiting this week but was working away all of last week and have only just posted my 'M'

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Hi Gemma - just a quick note to say I re-dated your post on the anthology blog so it falls within the correct week - thanks for including it there,

Miss_Yves said...

"Love story"...A touching poem...
And a magic shade of blue!
miss Yves

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails