AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Thirteen Stages of Tuning in to a Kookaburra ~ for Poefusion #7

Pic from Mareeba Heritage Museum and Tourist Information Centre
~
I
O kookie ~
The first time I heard your voice
I had to laugh
~
II
Dear kookie ~
The first time I saw you with your mate
I felt your love
~
III
I understand kookie ~
Your mate took a long
Long time
To join you
On the branch
She then turned her back on you ~
Did you stay out too long?
~
IV
O dearest kookie ~
Today you came so close
I almost managed
To feed you by hand
~
V
Help me kookie ~
It has been several days ~
Where are you?
~
VI
My space is so lonely

Without the laughter
Of my kookaburra
~
VII
O my kookie!
It is so wonderful to have you back ~
But you are alone ~
Your mate?
And you seem to have
A stray feather on your wing?
~
VIII
O dearest kookie~
Today is the best day of my life!
You took food from hand
And just stayed
On the railing ~
Close
~
IX
We have shared our dawns and our evenings
For quite some months
Dear kookie ~
Just you and I ~
So precious
~
X
Kookie?
Is this your family?
A partner
And a baby?
You all want feeding?
~
XI
I feel a strange kind of sadness ~
Baby kookie has grown
And sometimes visits
But my kookie?
~
XII
The days are long
Without kookie laughter
~
XIII
Now
Suddenly
Springtime ~
There is so much
Kookie laughter
All round me
I can scarcely think
Without smiling ~
Such a gift
From the first laugh
~
But my spirit
Still yearns
To know
To feel
Just once more
One very special
Kookaburra
~

6 comments:

paisley said...

we of course do not have "kookies" so i am so thrilled you chose them as your subject...

lovely verses and a great story too....

Anonymous said...

I like the way they look!

Paz

Anonymous said...

it is like a tale, the last part is quite bittersweet

poefusion said...

What a wonderful tribute to the Kookaburra. I love the way you have yourself immersed in conversation with them. And, that picture is simply adorable. I especially liked number seven, by the way. Have a nice day.

Lirone said...

Really lovely and delicate use of words, and I love the gentle humour running through the verses!

What a great prompt this has been!

Anonymous said...

it is a beautiful melodius tune you have written full of wonderful emotions... great response to michelle's 13.. and the photo was so crystal clear capturing the very essence of the kookaberra... having lived in wes australia i can remember sitting out in the middle of nowhere.. the bush... a line of eucalyptus trees and the kkbera singing in the ol gum tree... it has been a long while since rememberin... thank you

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails