AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Monday, March 10, 2008

I Cannot Be ~ for One Single Impression "Change" prompt + Poets Online




~~~

I cannot be boxed
Symmetrical and planed sides
Berlin Walls are cruel
~~~~~~~~~~
~
If I were the sky
I would be a cloud
Drifting,
Reshaping
Reinventing
~
If I were the earth
I would be a rock
Bathing in
The rush of
A waterfall
~
If I were a tree
I would be a willow
Soft lacy wanderings
Dreaming quietly
In whispering breezes
By water
~
If I were a place
I would be Sheffield
In Tasmania
Vibrant with murals
Of old lifetime
Spaces
~
If I were a shop
I would be Berkelouw's
Rambling
Berrima homestead
Alone in serene farmland
Graced with an
Intimate cafe
And a wonderful log fire
Hosted
By an old armchair
~
If I were a garden

I would be
Mount Annan Botanic Garden
A healing place
Where forested boardwalks
Gently lead to sanctuaries
Of old songlines
And a sundial
On a hill
Waits for
Human shadows
To cast time
~
If I were a bread of life

I would wink
Impishly
From the exotic worlds
Of chocolate
~
If I were to be a season

I would be Autumn
Mystical limbo
Raining in colour
~
If I were to be an element

I would be Water
Paradox of
A variable constant
Sometimes plains of blue
Leading to
Silken road horizons
Sometimes lapping charms
By those coastal sands
Of decision
Sometimes cleansing
Healing hands
Sometimes
Stormy
Drowning
Rebirth
~
But, I am none of those things

For now
For now

I am just
Some eerie etchings
On a white slate
Trying to drift
In a tiny bark
Through tai chi skies.
~~~~~~~~~~

I cannot be tagged
Sticky, cramped in clawing words
Ink blots are magic
~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: I tried to create a wave-like motion in the line lengths; a little like tidal whimsy but also like the enigmatic waving pulse of a heart-beat!

3 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Beautifully done, Gemma. Thanks for sharing this with One Single Impression, too!

Poets Online said...

I like your poem too.
I'm not sure which prompt you're responding to on Poets Online, but I hope you'll consider trying the current prompt one month.

Ken

http://poetsonline.org/prompt.htm

paisley said...

oh the poem was perfection... i wonder what my answers will be to those questions... i will save this post and use it as inspiration sometime... thank you ....

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails