AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Time Travel via Seawinds ~ for Writer's Island


Seawinds is a magical garden on top of the mountain known as Arthurs Seat. It is a haven on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, Australia; a haven where I love to wander for time out to nourish time in.
~~~~
Early, on a recent Sunday morning, I wandered here again.
The air was fragrant with dappled sunlight
A little tang of salt from the sea
And a slight hint of eucalypt
~~~~
I chose the secret, rocky,winding track into the gardens. The main car park just beyond a sprawling, yawning gateway somehow looks so commercial. And just beyond the carpark is a supermarket line up of barbeques. For me, it looks like a stopping place for hasty time travellers. I prefer a simple, long, timeless walk into this whispering garden.
~
I quietly opened an aching, tiny, peeling silver gate. And ambled down the dusty track. Trees seemed to move closer and closer, making the track appear more fragile than ever.
~
At last I reached a little wooden bridge, leading into one corner of the garden. As I stepped on the first wooden planks, a head popped out from behind the bushes ahead! It was a tiny grey wallaby, busy with breakfast nibbles. Drawing closer, I found this was Mum wallaby; for baby was nibbling not too far away on an expanse of grass. Mum moved just a little. I chatted on to her, wishing her a good morning and hoping she had a wonderful day. I am sure she understood, because she just seemed to intently watch my face, while still nibbling of course. I passed close by her, and sensed just a little wariness, but mainly there seemed to be a lithesome bond of morning delight. Baby ignored me completely.
~
I kept walking, but smiling now. I felt I shared the joy of a moment; an intimate encounter with time in nature's zone.
~
The next wander past the shaded lakes, rose and fern gardens and countless rocky steps became a bit of a blur. I still carried that first moment. But I was headed for a special rocky wall where a few of William Ricketts' spirits were sculptured (see pic) No matter where I chose to wander in these gardens, always this particular spot was an essential stopping point. I loved to feel this man's dream of souls uniting across the oceans of time. For him, the reality of time is the eternal soul, like some huge cosmic heart, always pulsing, always breathing a purpose into life.
~
A few precious breaths here by the wall, and I moved on toward the cliff, high above Port Phillip Bay. A tiny garden here embraced the view. Homes, roads and distant Melbourne seemed so small here. The waters and the spill of the sky were far greater. Utter exhileration always filled me at this place. For a little while, I sat on the bench, in memory of some soul who had passed here. (Many benches have little plaques as memorials of people who once enjoyed Seawinds. Perhaps, some day, I would like a fragment of me to always be here too!)
~
I felt it was time to return. The breezes were freshening, and there was a distinct aura of grey rain in the air. Of course, I returned via the wallabies. And there she was! Lazily nibbling on a small grassy hill! I voiced another good morning to her! But she just glanced my way, and then turned to watch her baby. I felt a little disappointed, but maybe I was interpretting her reaction the wrong way. Perhaps, she had decided I was no threat! Just another piece of nature's time and space. I should feel special!
~
Again, after leaving her, the gardens became a blur of passing colours and swaying greens. But I suddenly realised my feet were hastening a little more. Subconsciously, perhaps, I could feel the presence of storms. Yet the sky was just a mist of greyscale clouds! I felt somehow highly tuned into the cycles of Nature, feeling her desire to travel on.
~
Travel on! I had to travel on! I had to travel back to travel on!
Time out is time in, fuel for the hungry time traveller!

17 comments:

paisley said...

what a compelling piece,, thank you for sharing this very special place with us.....

Anonymous said...

Your words painted a beautiful picture in my mind. A truly lovely piece

Pri said...

i could actually imagine every bit of it...
wonderful description...
really beautiful!
wish i could just close my eys and reach there :)

Pri said...

eyes*

Linda Jacobs said...

Thanks for taking me away from zero degrees f. to this warm and inviting paradise!

anthonynorth said...

Your words did justice to the place. It looks marvellous.

Crafty Green Poet said...

You got my attention very quickly - there's an Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh too! I enjoyed your description of your walks, specially the wallaby

Tumblewords: said...

Exquisite! I could go there in a moment with the right machine. You've described a paradise.

Lifeless in Ohio said...

Australia has always been on my most want-to-visit list - you just moved it to the number one spot!

UL said...

Excellent piece here, I travelled the time with you...time out is definitely time in...thank you

Anonymous said...

You describe the Australian landscape so well. Your love for it is palpable. I really enjoyed this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful place with us. I can feel your love for it flow through your piece.

seeds travelling tthrough time

Jeques said...

Gemma,

Serenity takes form with your words - you brought us to the place with your quiet soliloquies.
This piece is soothing - like a balm - to the soul. The tour to your sacred sanctuary is a great treat; my mind's senses are satiated. I see, I hear, I smell, I taste, I feel the intagible word: serenity - it is amazing how you made it tangible in writing.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I love all the pictures here on your blog.

rebecca said...

gemma: i always enjoy reading your posts....i get to experience the beauty of your homeland thru your words. you always paint such beautiful pictures with them. thank you!

Anonymous said...

A beautifully descriptive journey!

Rambler said...

I like the mystery eliments added to such places across the world, something makes travelling so much fun

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails