AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Peeling Thoughts


Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ Peeling paint on bathing box/boat shed at Dromana, Mornington Peninsula
~
This past weekend had a strange feel to it! Saturday was simply impossible with blustery, chill rain showers all day! It was the 11th day of rain, broken occasionally with some all too few sun bursts! Quite a record for Australian weather! But if that appears strange, Sunday, somehow, was even stranger. I felt as if I was peeling away some odd heartlands.
~

Pic by Gemma Wsieman ~ Just peeling on bathing box/boat shed in Dromana
~
Sunday was a pot pourri of weathers. So, hungry for my weekend walk armed with a camera, I risked the chance of warmth for the tantalising lure of unusual pics! In some ways, I found more than I bargained for.

1. An old man was playing "Silent Night" on a crackly old accordion at the entrance of Dromana Shopping Centre.
2. Some young guys were sitting in a parked car in the carpark, just chatting. The driver suddenly jumped out of the car, wandered over to another car just behind and lifted the windscreen wipers off the windshield, so they stood straight up in the air. He then briefly looked through the windows of this car, went back to his own, and drove away.
2. I found strange, glowing skies by the sea in between rain showers.
3. I took pics of a group of guys standing in the water. They are not in any way offensive pics, but since posting them for Odd Shots and Ruby Tuesday,(see below), I keep being gnawed by a sense of guilt. The fun of the moment is now a slight awkwardness. I am still deliberating whether to delete them.
4. While being delighted with many early spring flowers, I noticed an equal number were falling, as if their time was nearly over.
5. I saw a rather haunting, skinny, black and white stray dog (at least it seemed to be wandering from house to house) who chose to walk with me for quite some distance. But he walked level with me on one side of the road while I was on the other. The dog had a rather odd look. One ear stayed flopped over one eye. When I turned back down his street, he kept walking without a backward glance.
6. I found a delightful old house with the name "Aberfeldie". This was the very name I wished to have on my own home some day. I remember when my mother liked the name and had it blazoned on a sign for her home. I remember feeling very hurt. Why I chose this name I don't know. It just seemed right. Someday, I hope still to give this name my home. (I have written it in this way deliberately!)
7. When I returned from my walk to my car parked at the shopping centre, the old man had stopped playing. He was now chatting to two young teenagers, giving them tips on playing their guitars. Amazingly, the two young guys appeared to listen seriosuly.
8. And in this crazy world where the planets seemed to be humming discordant harmonies, I found myself drawn to the subtle beauty of peeling paint.
~

Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ Peeling paint on an old shed in Dromana
~

See my AuraGem Songlines for a poem ~ Peeling Past ~ inspired by this last enigmatic old shed.
~

1 comment:

Hey Harriet said...

Wow! you were certainly lucky to see such unusual sights! Peeling paint? Hmmm...it's not something I've really taken much notice of before, but will now. Great photos :)

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails