AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Canadian Bay Club


Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ This tiny clubhouse overlooks the sands of Mills Beach on Port Phillip Bay, Mornington Peninsula.
But look at the sign on the right!
So strange that the No Parking sign has been placed by the Country Fire Authority when a heap of water is right at the door!
And it is almost impossible to park there because the driveway is on a steep rocky/sandy slope!
But there is another surprise!
The film "On the Beach" (1959) was filmed at Canadian Bay and the clubhouse was used as the film's operating headquarters. When it was released with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardiner and Fred Astaire in the leading roles Canadian Bay got a great deal of publicity and the membership rose quite quickly.
Canadian Bay Club Mount Eliza
~
ABC Wednesday Round 8 ~ C is for Canadian Bay Club + Coastline
~

Strange small seaside club
A relic from other days
Changeless sands of time
~

Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ Here is a part of the peninsula coastline near the club
~

ABC Wednesday Challenge Round 8 is hosted by Mrs Nesbitt

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, I remember that movie! I think I may have to get it at Netflix, be fun to see it now that I know so many people in Australia through blogging! Terrific post for the C Day and what a lovely place! Beautiful beach! Hope your week is going well, Gemma!

Sylvia
ABC Team

Berowne said...

Great pix; memories of my trip to Aussie.

Gunnside said...

looks like a warm sunny place, great pics for the C
Have a nice week ;))

??? said...

Beautiful coastline. On the Beach is one of the most depressing books I have ever read, along with When the Wind Blows.

B i r g i t t a said...

What a nice entry and charming history about the club - I enjoyed it a lot :)

Kay L. Davies said...

Looks like a nice little place. If I promise not to park in the driveway, maybe I can go there next time I'm in Australia because I'm Canadian! I can see just where I want to sit!
-- K

Wanda said...

I know that is somewhere I would like to visit. The coastline is beautiful.

Roger Owen Green said...

will you pls sponsor me for membership?

ROG ABC WED TEAM

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I remember that movie! It looks like a charming little beach area. Weird sign... sometimes you wonder.

Nanka said...

That is a beautiful place and the water looks so cool and blue. Enjoyed your 'Strange but True' and 'Believe It Or Not' story about the coastline and the Club!!

DawnTreader said...

Don't know the film, but I do like that coastline picture.

photowannabe said...

Gorgeous coastline and that club is so appealing.

Marja said...

Just gorgeous

Cheryl said...

Great captures. The coastline is gorgeous.

Cheryl
ABC Team

Beverley Baird said...

I loved that movie! Haven't seen it in a very long time tho!
That coastline is absolutely gorgeous! What a shot!

Leslie: said...

I remember that movie and it was excellent! Lovely photo of the beach here. :D

Leslie
ABCW Team

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails