Collage created from Channel 9's coverage of the Melbourne Cup 2011 at Flemington - my TV!
Melbourne Cup Day falls on the first Tuesday in November (last Tuesday).
In Victoria, it is celebrated as a public holiday because it is the climax of the Spring racing carnival season!
And behind the racing stakes are the high fashion stakes.
There is a special venue for the "beautiful people" to gather - invitation only.
It is known as the Birdcage - a series of marquees.
Stores such as Myer have marquees and Saab has returned this year to the Birdcage, but many believe the Emirates marquee is the most exotic!
I have never been to the Melbourne Cup, (nor really is it my kind of experience), but I do watch the happenings on TV!
Inside the Emirates Birdcage, Melbourne
The first 10 place getters were:
2. Red Cadeaux
3. Lucas Cranach
6. Lost In The Moment
7. Fox Hunt
9. Unusual Suspect
10. At First Sight
105,979 attended the 2011 Melbourne Cup and witnessed possibly the closest finish in the race's history.
ABC News Online created a LIVE blog of the Melbourne Cup!
Melbourne Cup gala
Social calendar highlight
Tracks of hooves and frills
Our World Tuesday is hosted by Arija, Gattina, Lady Fi, Sylvia and Sandy
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Melbourne Cup 2011 and the Birdcage
My Poetry Videos on TeacherTube + Google Video
Archive of Blog Quotes
- A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
- Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
- Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
- Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
- Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
- Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
- Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
- The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
- Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
- Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
- Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman
| My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is: |
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title